06 November 2009

Second Chances (testimonial by Graziel, former AHEAD student)

When I was studying, I did not like Math. I absolutely dreaded it. I could not figure out how x and y worked together, nor did I 'get' what sin and cosine was all about. For sure, Math was my Achilles' heel, and whenever Exams Week came around, I spent extra time reviewing my Math notes, to the point wherein I was neglecting my other subjects.

I was able to graduate from high school though, and luckily, got accepted in my favored university. I guess my grades in other subjects were high enough to make up for my less than exceptional Math scores. For a while, I was able to enjoy my new campus, and all the things that being a freshman in one of the top universities afforded me.

Alas, in my 2nd semester, I got confronted with my old nemesis again. You're right, a pre-requisite Math 101 subject. "No biggie," I remember my prof saying, "this will be like we're reviewing your Math lessons from 3rd and 4th year..."

Ooops. That was exactly what was bothering me. It was then that I realized that I had to understand my Math. I was tired of being stressed out every time someone mentions Math or Trigo or Stats within hearing range. Besides, how was I to understand the more complex lessons when I was having trouble with the basics already?

With a little research, I found out about AHEAD. The person I was able to talk to during my selection process was very helpful and sympathetic. She did not laugh when I told her that I wanted to join a tutorial session for High School Math.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself at AHEAD. I was a bit embarrassed at first when I met my tutor (who was only a few years older than I was!) but again, I got over it real fast. She was very helpful and totally understood why I was doing the review.

For the first time in my life, I was able to understand my Math. Abstract concepts were patiently explained to me in simple terms, and little by little, I was able to get it. It was hard work in the beginning, but as my confidence in my Math skills started to increase, learning became easier. My tutor told me that the reason why I thought Math was difficult was because my foundation in Math was shaky.

Because of AHEAD's intervention, I am proud to say that I passed Math 101 with flying colors. Looking back, I think of all those report cards with the low Math grades that I had to ask my mom to sign and wonder if I should have taken tutorial sessions even then. Oh well, what ifs were never really my cup of tea. What i do know is that I am glad to have reviewed when I did, gladder that I chose AHEAD. AHEAD was my second chance to learn AND understand my High School Math.

-Graziel Estella (24 yrs.)
Marketing Assistant

No comments: